I can’t believe it! My little blog is 6 months old already! Thank you to all of you who have been supportive and reading it. As you know I started it as a way to remember various points in our family life, but it’s also becoming a bit of an emotional release for me too. I haven’t, and don’t plan to sugar coat my life or how I’m feeling when it comes to parenting, I’m keeping true to how it is because then I can look back and realise how far we’ve come and be proud that the hard days made the good days that much better.
So what have I learned/accomplished in these 6 months of blogging? Lets have a look…
- The blogging world is ginormous. A lot bigger than I thought, and there’s a blog for just about everything!
- The parenting blogger community is just that; a community. I’ve not met a mean/nasty blogger (yet) and I hope to keep it that way!
- A lot of work is put into a successful blog. It’s not just a case of writing a few posts and becoming a viral sensation.
- Keeping tabs on a range of social media platforms is quite a task, but it can be worth it if done properly.
- Love the writing. It’s not much fun to blog “because you have to.” You’ve got to remember why you started to write it in the first place, and if you’re not enjoying it, it’ll become clear in your writing!
- I’ve still yet to work out how people juggle housework/kids/family etc and still manage to whack out a couple of posts a week!
- There’s a lot of ways to connect with other bloggers, through guest posts or linky’s (you might have seen a few I’ve joined in with!) They’re great fun and another way to find new blogs!
- I’m part of the #blogsquad over at Meet Other Mums where once a month I post over there too!
I’ll admit I started out as one of those naïve people who thought it would just be a case of writing a few posts, spreading it across a few social media platforms and voila! I’d be raking in the views and people would love what I write. But the more I delve into what makes a good blogger, the more I realise its not that easy. And anyone who thinks it is needs to do a good bit of research! The majority of my audience is primarily friends and family (thank you <3) and with so many other parenting bloggers out there, it’s a wonder any of them get read at times! But I’m not bothered by this, because I’ve learned that a good blog takes a lot of time and effort, and quite honestly, I don’t always have the time or energy to put into it just yet. I’m happy for my blog to be what it is, and eventually it might progress further.
Things I’d like to achieve in the next 6-12 months:
- To go self-hosted at some point!
- I’m still trying to find the button which allows me to add more menu buttons at the top of my page (can anyone help?)
- I think I might opt for a new theme at some point.
- Create a “set featured image” for my posts as opposed to the random jumble of colours I have right now.
- A new homepage banner.
- Promote my social media platforms a bit more and perhaps delve into pinterest…we’ll see on that! and generally be more active.
- Join in with more linkys and guest post series.
So happy 6 months to Bringing up the Berneys, I’m very much excited to see where the next 6 months will take us! Thank you to you all for being great and reading it!
(Linky badge won’t work, click here to join in!: http://jakijellz.com/blogging/triumphant-tales-linky/triumphant-tales-linky-16/ )