Baking with Kids.

Three words that instantly fills me with dread. Baking with kids. Now, in theory it sounds amazing, but you just know that “that mum” who posts beautiful photos of the kids doing all the fun parts like mixing and pouring, has had a conversation more like, “mix it! Keep going…no, you’ve missed a big lump. Here let me do it.” And then the kids become redundant…”That mum” is me. I’m happy to announce though that today it wasnt me! for once. Not even lying!

The past few days we’ve had my niece round for a few sleepovers, and the girls are literally obsessed with Minecraft. They’ve spent the majority of time on it together – which I have no issue with, it’s lovely to see them playing together. But it was getting a bit excessive, so I took control and said no Minecraft today! Instead, we’re going to get creative and make/bake/paint!

So after breakfast we got dressed and popped to the shops for ingredients. I might add I also picked up my 2 year old nephew along the way…so now I had 5 kids, aged 9,7,2,2 and 6 months. Baking will be fun. It will be fun. Repeat the mantra.

Once we finished at the shops and walked home, I tidied up the kitchen and got everything set and prepared for the girls. Easy peasy, it’s going too well! I thought. And right on cue. Just as the girls and I got started with making some cookies, one of the boys had pooed and needed a nappy change, and the baby was demanding a feed. Wonderful. How does one person divide themselves into three!?

Luckily, the girls and I were able to finish making the cookies and get them in the oven before feeding the baby. So whilst I was doing that, the girls tidied and washed up in the kitchen ready for the next session of baking brownies! I managed to get the baby to sleep in time for this too thankfully, and the younger boys were happy watching Thomas the Tank Engine in the living room. (I say watching, they completely destroyed my living room with toys everywhere!)

So we cracked on. Again, I let the girls have free reign of everything except the measurements (as I don’t currently own any weighing scales) and they took it in turns to mix, pour, crack eggs etc. We poured the brownie mixture into the tin and I popped it in the oven. I’ve gotta say, the cookies and brownies came out perfectly! We also made some fudge, but the girls had a new found interest in finding music to listen to on YouTube by this point, so rather, I made some fudge, and now it’s all stuck to the tray…if anyone has any hints or tips on how to cut it for next time that would be grand!

I have to say, I was really apprehensive about baking with the girls, but I needn’t have been! They showed they are more than capable of doing things properly, and I’ve realised that even if they aren’t, it doesn’t matter. They’re only kids! If they mess it up, it’s not the end of the world. If it’s lumpy, oh well. If they forget an ingredient – who hasn’t from time to time??They’ll learn from the mistakes and next time will be better!

I am rather amazed that I managed to keep it together today and entertain 5 little people! Maybe next time I’ll venture into getting the girls to cook dinner! (Wouldn’t that be nice?!)

What do you get baking and cooking in the kitchen with the kids?

– Becky x

Monday Stumble Linky
JakiJellz

16 Comments

1. April 9, 2018 / 1:21 pm

I struggle with letting my littles have free reign when we are baking so now to overcome my controlling nature I give them half the ingredients to go wild with and the rest I make. That way I am occupied and can let them have a go. So good for you being able to let them do it. #lrgtstumble

• bringinguptheberneys
      April 9, 2018 / 1:38 pm

That’s a great idea! Yeah I physically had to let them get on with it whilst I sorted the other kids out, inside I was crying a little haha! Xx

2. April 9, 2018 / 9:53 pm

Wow seriously impressed that you managed to do some baking while looking after 5 kids. That is amazing. I struggle with two and baking. My eldest and I used to bake all the time but we haven’t so much since I had my youngest as find it too difficult! If we do bake then I prep everything in little bowls so all he has to do is pour it all in and stir – which he’s become pretty good at for a three year old! #LGRTStumble

• bringinguptheberneys
      April 9, 2018 / 10:11 pm

That’s what I used to do too! Prep it all, makes it a little easier at that age for sure! 🙂 it’s nicer now the girls are older they can do it themselves pretty much, I just pop in to do the hot bits!
      It’s the first time in a while we’ve done some baking, I’d like to do some more now I know we can! X

3. April 10, 2018 / 12:57 pm

Wow amazing, especially with 5 kids! I have to admit I’m one of those parents that takes over when they don’t do it properly 😬 I’ve been a lot better recently! #triumphanttales

• bringinguptheberneys
      April 10, 2018 / 1:13 pm

Yeah I was pretty proud of myself for it haha! I must work on getting better at letting the kids do more by themselves…I must refrain from the perfectionist inside lol! X

4. April 10, 2018 / 1:35 pm

Hats off to you managing five, I struggle with two. Lovely idea to bake and breaks the day up. The biscuits look delicious X #LGRTstumble

• bringinguptheberneys
      April 10, 2018 / 1:38 pm

Thanks! Yeah I don’t know how I did it haha! It was lovely doing something different for sure! X

5. April 10, 2018 / 3:13 pm

Is Utterly Butterly really a thing? That is GREAT!!! I wish it was available here in the states! #triumphanttales

• bringinguptheberneys
      April 10, 2018 / 4:13 pm

Haha yeah, it’s not proper cooking butter but it was the only thing butter the shop closest to me stocked! (We also had ‘I can’t believe it’s not butter’) xx

6. April 10, 2018 / 3:18 pm

I can’t wait to bake with my little girl! You’re a champion for keeping 5 kids amused, fed, clean, and happy through the whole afternoon!
    #TriumphantTales

• bringinguptheberneys
      April 10, 2018 / 4:14 pm

Thank you haha! Yeah I was pleasantly surprised I managed to keep them all alive and well hahaha!

7. April 10, 2018 / 5:05 pm

I struggle baking with just my 2 year old. But 5 kids?? You deserve a medal (or at least the lion’s share of those cookies and brownies!) #triumphanttales

• bringinguptheberneys
      April 10, 2018 / 8:55 pm

Haha, I did sneak a couple of the cookies! X

8. April 15, 2018 / 7:24 pm

I too am ‘that Mum’. I need to do this kind of thing more! Well done you though! Thanks for joining us at #TriumphantTales, hope you’ll come back again on Tuesday!

• bringinguptheberneys
      April 16, 2018 / 3:06 pm

I’m hoping to incorporate it a bit more into our lives, it’s a rare occasion I bake lol.